Thursday, June 28, 2012

What I Have Been Up To: The Good, Part I - Was Denn So Los War: Das Gute, Teil I

THAT last post was pretty depressing, wasn't it? But, hey! there's light at the end of the tunnel! And it's got colors!

I swear, when I realized just how many massive changes were encroaching up on my life this year, I was terrified. I am a creature of habit. I do not do change well. And as a result of this, my life has been very much stagnating for the past years.

So, after digesting the first shock of my brother suggesting we ought to move apart - that was quite a bite to chew - I eventually started to see the good things in it. All those little things that kept annoying the hell out of me in living with another person, which I never brought up because I like my peace, I could move away from them.

My sweet, but unfortunately very musical neighbor who likes to sing in falsetto in the middle of the night, I could move away from him.

The massive traffic in front of my window, causing the whole house to shake like in a minor earthquake whenever a truck passes through day and night - I could move away from it.

Suddenly I realized just how unhappy I had been with how I'd been living in the past few years.

And as things were finalized for when the store I work in would be closed for reconstruction, it all fell together. Our staff was required to take their days off and yearly vacation within that period, so I'll basically be off work for ALL of August. Originally I did that with all the festivals at that time in the back of my mind, but eventually I realized, it would be the perfect time to move and have all the time of the world for paint jobs, cleaning and repair work in both, my old and my new place to live. I started to look for a new apartment for serious.

Also, I applied as a temp proxy for our store manager early this year. The sheer thought of it would have had me terrified two years ago, but now I thought: Hell, if everything's going to be upside down this year anyway, you might just as well go all the way with changing stuff! You know, like, using my momentum. My training isn't finished, but I learned a whole lot of new stuff, and enjoyed it. I had to take a class teaching me about over the counter pharmaceuticals, and a two days class about First Aid. I can save lives now!

That class, by the way, really got me thinking. The guy teaching us was really passionate about it, telling us how we made a difference, and that - despite most of us probably considering this class a chore dumped on us by our employers - he was sincerely grateful we decided to partake in this class. He was incredibly funny, and he had a whole lot of stories to share about his work as a medic which I all could relate to, since it was all familiar places, stuff I'd read or heard about in the local news. It is very different to hear about it from a person who has been right there, and it touched a string.

I felt ... responsible, after I left that class.

I'll sign up as an organ donor, and, on August 16th, I'll go donor blood for the first time in my life. 


DER letzte Beitrag war ja eher deprimierend, nicht wahr? Aber, hey! Es gibt Licht am Ende des Tunnels, und es ist bunt!

Ich schwöre Euch, als mir dämmerte wie viele Veränderungen dieses Jahr auf mich zukommen wurde mir ganz anders und ich hätte mir fast in die Hosen gemacht vor Angst. Ich bin ein absolutes Gewohnheitstier. Veränderungen, das geht so gar nicht. Und als Resultat ist mein Leben die vergangenen Jahre ziemlich auf der Stelle getreten.

Nachdem mir also mein Bruder verklickert hatte dass wir besser auseinander ziehen sollten, und sich nach zwei, drei Tagen (Wochen) der erste Schock gelegt hatte, fing ich so langsam an das Gute darin zu sehen. All die kleinen Dinge die mich die Wand hoch treiben, aber über die ich des lieben Friedens willens nie was sage - ich könnte davon weg ziehen. 

Mein lieber, aber leider äußerst musikalischer Nachbar, der gerne mitten in der Nacht im Falsett vor sich hin singt - ich könnte weg ziehen. 

Der Straßenlärm und die LKWs die das Haus zum wackeln bringen wie in einem Erdbeben - ich könnte weg ziehen!

Plötzlich wurde mir klar, dass ich nicht wirklich glücklich gewesen bin, so wie ich die letzten Jahre gelebt habe.

Und nach dem dann endgültig wurde wann genau der Laden in dem ich arbeite für den Umbau geschlossen sein würde, und wir gebeten wurden unseren Jahresurlaub in diese Zeit zu legen, passten die Puzzleteile auf einmal zusammen. Ich hatte eigentlich eher all die Festivals in der Region im Kopf als ich mir frech den ganzen August frei nahm, aber dachte dann: Hey, perfekt zum umziehen und renovieren! und fing an ernsthaft nach einer Wohnung zu suchen. 

Außerdem habe ich mich in unserem Markt als Tagesvertretung (das ist so ein kleines bisschen stundenweise Chef sein) beworben. Vor zwei Jahren noch wäre ich angesichts der Verantwortung rennen gegangen, aber jetzt ... Wenn sich schon alles ändert dieses Jahr kann ich auch gleich richtig reinhauen, oder? Bin leider noch nicht fertig angelernt, das ging bei dem ganzen Stress mit der Schließung einfach unter, aber denoch unheimlich viel gelernt - und es genossen. Unter anderem muste ich für einen Sachkundetest über freiverkäufliche Arzneimittel büffeln, und an einem zwei-Tage-Kurs für betriebliche Ersthelfer teilnehmen. Ich kann jetzt Leben retten!

Dieser Kurs hat mich übrigens ganz schön ins Grübeln gebracht ... Der ältere Herr der uns unterrichtet hat war wirklich Rettungshelfer mit Leib und Seele, und wurde nicht müde uns zu beteuern wie wichtig Ersthelfer sind, und sprach seinen Dank aus für unsere Kursteilnahme, auch wenn uns wahrscheinlich unser Arbeitgeber hingezwungen hätte. Er war sehr humorvoll, und hatte unheimlich viel zu erzählen. Das meiste davon hat mich sehr berührt, den es waren vertraute Straßennahmen, Schicksale über die ich zuvor in den lokalen Nachrichten gehört oder gelesen hatte.

Ich fühlte mich ... verantwortlich, nachdem der Kurs vorbei war.

Ich werde mich zur Organspende bereit erklären, und im August gehe ich zum ersten Mal in meinem Leben Blut spenden.

2 comments:

  1. Hope your move goes well and what an amazing thing to do, becoming a blood donor. Very worth while

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, 13. What the guy who taught our class had to say really got me thinking, about a lot of things. Hmm, maybe I ought to do some Red Cross related jewelry?

    ReplyDelete